Thursday, June 11, 2009

Such a good day

So things started a little slow today. I was doing laundry, lounging about my room. But then I get a facebook chat from Thanh saying that everyone from Yale on HIF was in Tokyo for the night. Unfortunately, I missed the big crowd on their way out to ラメーン。At least I got to see Thanh, Brown-san, and, the one who really made my evening, Jamar. I wasn't even sure he was going to be with the group or if he was visiting his Grandparents or something. I was looking on the list at the front desk to see which room Brown-san was in, and then I spied Jamar's name on the list. Nothing beats having one of your best friends from college show up when you are in another country. He and I wandered around Shinjuku for a while and then parted ways. The visit was much too short and I didn't even see half the people I know who will be at HIF, so I plan to visit them all at their mid summer break sometime next month.

Right after parting ways with Jamar, I quickly took the JR and met with my friend Lauryn from high school. She is here on a summer program through Vassar, and invited me to Karaoke. It was an absolute blast. I got to meet some of her friends, and our song choices quickly devolved into pop and anime themes, as those were the only songs we knew the lyrics to. I will definitely be going again sometime.

To top the night off, I decided to check on all of the anime theme writing J-pop bands that we had just sung to, and I discovered, in absolute disbelief, that The Pillows are playing this Saturday. I was sure that would be the one band I triple checked to see if they were playing while I was here. I haven't found any indication that the show is sold out, so despite my logic, I am remaining hopeful and will go to the club to investigate tomorrow. I also found a really weird looking show that I think I will go to tomorrow. The genre of the show, according to this one guide site, is "WTF?"

No comments:

Post a Comment