Sunday, June 21, 2009

Let's go have a beach party!

Right off the bat, happy Father's Day dad. It's still Sunday here and it's only close to 11 over there so you probably aren't back from church yet. I tried to find the special dinners commercial again this year, but I couldn't. Instead:

Apparently there aren't many left in the US. The nearest one to us is in Georgia.

So today I actually did go to a beach party in Otadama, by the bay. I was really worried because it was pouring this morning. The venue was called the Otadama Sea Studio, so I wasn't sure if it was an indoor thing or not. I got a little lost and wandered around, but then I found it.


It turns out that the place is a hut right on the beach. The floors inside were sand, so everyone just took off their sandals and danced in their bare feet. If you needed a break, you just went outside and sat by the water.

I came there specifically for two acts. The first was a singer named Hitomi Toi, which in Kanji is 一十三十一, the first Kanji palindrome name I have ever seen. She had a whole band with her and played a pretty good disco set. She definitely had a knack for working the crowd. Some of the songs featured more electronic instruments (bass player switching to a microkorg) and I was a fan of that.
http://www.myspace.com/hitomitoi



The act I was really excited about was De De Mouse, and he did not fail. He came out in some stylish duds and played a seriously dope house set. He was a great performer. He came out and started cracking jokes, and getting the crowd wild. Unlike a lot of DJs, he doesn't stand at the table grooving out by himself. Instead he is dancing, mouthing the lyrics, and being interactive with the audience the whole time. For most of his songs he played synth parts and jumped up on the table a couple of times. The only shame was that his set was a little short.
http://www.myspace.com/dedemouse

A great surprise today was when I figured out I can take videos with my camera. This is all I got before they yelled at me (politely informed me that I can not take photographs). I think this will happen to me a lot in the future.

2 comments:

  1. You are really getting this amazing, unique view of Japan- it's incredibly fun for us to get to share it. Vicarious travel adventure pleasure! Keep dishing it out. XO Auntie L and the fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are Shakeys in Los Angeles! We always used to go there after my cousin's basketball games. You should come visit me in L.A. sometime. Also, I wish I was cool enough to go to a beach party.

    ReplyDelete