Saturday, June 20, 2009

Last Night

Last night I biked to Shibuya. I had some food and explored a little bit.

At 6 P.M. I went to the Shibuya O-Nest. The opening act was 世武裕子, a pianist singer with modern french composer influences. She even sang in french for a few of the songs. Her compositions were playfully elegant and she had a beautiful voice.
http://www.myspace.com/sebumusique


Next was Mouse on the Keys. I had heard this band in a record store and was very interested to see what they would be like live. They were flawless. Fast and intricate Mathy Jazz with two keyboardist that were never off rhythm (not by a microsecond) and one of the most absurd drummers I have ever seen. They featured Trumpet/Cornet on a bunch of their songs, and the trumpeter was intense as well.
http://www.myspace.com/mouseonthekeys


The headliner was actually an Irish band called Enemies. They were an instrumental post-rock band with a lot of two hand guitar tapping. One of the guitarists would play drums from time to time, and overall they were much more lively than a lot of the bands I have seen here (the bassist jumped into the crowd). The show hit an interesting spot when the other guitarist broke his string, and then frantically changed it while the rest of the band improvised on a vamp.

The show got out around 9:30 P.M.

This gave me just enough time to wander until I found the club called Womb. You see, I had also bought a ticket to see Shadow Dance and a few other DJs. This "show" was actually a rave. It was spectacular. All of the DJs had a different style. First was a DJ called SOBE! who played a lot of modern techno. Second was Poney Poney who played a lot of remixed Hip Hop (my favorite was them pulling out O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature). Then came the featured artist, Shadow Dancer. He was incredible and played a Techno/Trance set but had a lot of break beats, which I love. He also blew me away when he pulled out Blue Monday by New Order. Following Shadow Dancer was Dexpistols, who had a little more of a hardcore edge. At one point they played the intro to Aerodynamic by Daft Punk, slipped into Omen off the new Prodigy album, and then went into Sandstorm. To round out the night was Metal Mouse, who were hard techno. I didn't stick around for their entire set because I knew I had to bike home. When I walked outside, it was light out, but there were still Japanese people strolling about everywhere. The Japanese do not sleep. When I got back I left my previous post.

P.S. If you did not know, the crowds at raves are the friendliest people in the world. People just hug you and want to be your friend.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast in Tokyo! Apparently my host brother is a DJ and has some sort of reggae show tonight (here in Hakodate) at "Club Cocoa," haha. Too bad you aren't here :(

    ReplyDelete